Monday, January 31, 2011

fondest memory of Grandpa...

Last night the only grandfather I ever knew passed. At this point I am sure it has not sunk in and won't until I go home for everything. He has not been doing the greatest for a while and last time I talked with my mom she basically told me to prepare for the worst.

A few weeks ago I brought him up in prayer to the youth I work with and the other adult there got me thinking about him in a different perspective. He could be a difficult man. The only chance to connect was usually through Euchre, which I learned a valuable lesson early- Don't every trump Grandpa's Ace even if all you have left are trump! But recently I was remembering something else that meant a lot to me that he was there.

At my recital for my undergraduate there were those I expected and those I never would have imagined to be there. Grandpa was one that was there that I did not expect! He never really said anything about the recital to me, but he mentioned not knowing I could sing like that to my Mom. To have my grandfather sit through a half an hour of classical/Broadway music and travel up to Potsdam really made me feel special and in reminiscing was one of the times that meant a lot to me for him to be there. Rest in peace Grandpa.

No comments:

Post a Comment