Monday, October 18, 2010

finally enjoying fall as winter approaches...



This past weekend turned out to be amazing. I planned on going up to see as much of the play that my sister is in since she's kinda a big deal in the musical, the lead or something like that! Well the most that they were doing this weekend was a cue to cue, which for the unknowing is basically doing the lines surrounding scene changes/ light changes/ costume changes and that is all. So I went with Lily to that rehearsal- unfortunately they decided to eat first which meant that I didn't see a whole lot, since I made my own dinner plans which began while they were still in the process of eating. I did have a nice chat with the director- she said that they are planning on recording the show and she'd make sure I could see it! :)

The dinner plans I had made occurred due to running into an amazing woman that I ran into Crane, Anna :) I got to enjoy spaghetti, bread, and cake with her and Rob. It was great seeing them in their married wonderfulness, after passing by the house once- I found it though! The conversation was great! I realized how much I miss the great times spent with her, but cherish the great times we have had- I will just have to be sure to plan time with her in the future!

I got back to Potsdam's campus to go to IV- I realized that there were a few people I knew, but the majority were new faces- I got in touch with Lily and we played some Skip-bo with her gang and then slept :)

Saturday I met up with my other sister for maternity photos in Madrid for good friends- turned out to be perfect timing since the baby was born the next day! The pictures turned out well and I am really excited to see them edited and see them as parents!!!! I returned to Potsdam for a tradition that officially has been going since my first semester- Broadway Sing! :o) It was great singing through the show tunes and spending that time becoming more acquainted with some tunes I should know better... I have to stop procrastinating downloading/ learning some of the show tunes that keep showing up each semester!

Then spontaneity ensued for the rest of the weekend! I called Kim and found that she was spending time with Carlylina! Thus I was able to spend time with two wonderful people at the same time! It was absolutely wonderful relaxing with them and seeing how their lives are going. Then I proceeded to Kim's apartment to discover the show Friends and get things ready for what we thought would be a movie night at her apartment- what actually happened was my first skype experience, figuring out how to order from Domino's online (we didn't want to call in- that and we felt extra important making technology bring us food!), eating pizza, and then going to another friend's apartment to watch Letters to God & eat brownies! Then since Lily had to be up early the next day I made plans to meet with her in the morning, since Kim invited me to stay at her apartment! :) We then proceeded to reminisce and stay up late talking- sounds like my last year on campus with her as my roommate :)

Then I went to church the following day- great sermon by a Pastor I do not remember ever seeing, who happens to be one of my friend's, who worked at Beaver Camp, father! I wanted to say hello, but unfortunately had plans to have lunch with Lily and took some students to church in my car so had to get going back to campus. After lunch I took Lily up on her plans to go for a hike, thus the wonderful foliage shots :) It was a relaxed hike and good time spent with Lily updating her on classes and what I am learning! I then proceeded to Kim's apartment to see her for a few, turned into an hour, before heading home.


(that's my car! :o) I like it a little bit)

One of the biggest realizations/ understandings I came to this weekend was that I am feeling less connected to Potsdam... and that's okay. I have been stressed/anxious about transitions, partly since through those transitions I have been leaving places that feel comfortable, that I have been growing in, places that I come to call home. Visiting Potsdam this weekend I have realized that with the changes that it is no longer the place that was home for me and interestingly enough I was okay with it. At this point I do not really know if there is any place that I call home, in spite of the fact that I am paying to live in Rochester. It seems really bizarre to me when I think about it, but I am at peace. I can constantly get caught up in the fact that there are so many changes that are constantly happening with myself, places and people I know, which can be overwhelming. This weekend it really struck me that everything is as it should be and things will not be the same as they were and that is the way it should be! I am at peace with the tons of work that I need to do, with the uncertainty of opportunities, and with the unknown after graduate school. I am enjoying the simple unplanned life and taking each day as it comes! I am letting go of things that I can't hold onto anyway- I am investing where I am rather than yearning to invest where I am not placed- I feel such a freedom in my life now and it feels wonderful.

p.s. Side note/ another realization: I have been driving a lot and realized that there are two songs by Skillet that have spoken to me on one of their albums and came to the realization of why. One of them just is a part of me and foundation that God has set in me, a constant seeking after him in spite of all circumstances, all fears, and all the unknown! The other one was a deep tainted perspective that I had- I remember singing those lyrics and never really quite connecting it to the rest of the song, which in the rest of the song God had been trying to speak to me! Over the weekend as I sang through the song I realized I was free from that tainted view and able to see the whole scope of it! I came to realize the work that God has done in me since January :)
extra side note: I am finding that although there's the "ring by spring" mentality that I have heard for Christian colleges, that for me that experience is not resounding whatsoever... maybe that's because all of the students I know seem to be married already ;)

... and to finish the title- The past few days I have realized that I can deal with the sunshine and the cooler temperatures, but with putting on snow tires today I realize winter will be here too soon! I just find it interesting that in my life it seems that I really start to appreciate seasons right before they change to the next one- I guess it's my whole difficulties with change! Who knows, with all the changes that I have had since January and that continue to happen currently I just might get so used to them that I start to appreciate all of them every once in a while, as they are happening :o)


(pictured above is the foliage in the Potsdam area on a hike- described earlier in this post)

No comments:

Post a Comment