Sunday, January 3, 2010

The beginning of the newest adventure... adulthood?

"Growing up is never easy. You hold on to things that were. You wonder what's to come. But that night, I think we knew it was time to let go of what had been, and look ahead to what would be. Other days. New days. Days to come. The thing is, we didn't have to hate each other for getting older. We just had to forgive ourselves... for growing up." ~The Wonder Years

Recently I embarked on what I decided to title this blog, "Travels into the unknown." For the next few months of my life... and actually the next few years I do not have any solid concrete plans on what is going to happen in my life. I have found it to be invigorating and freeing. The past 4 and a half years I have scheduled, planned, and sketched out my life. I knew exactly where I would be and on occasion would add something spontaneous to it, but I had a clear direction and decision of where I was going.

Now all those plans have come to a close and the beginnings of some plans are coming into focus but the majority of the next part of this journey of life is blurry and uncertain.

What I'm thinking of/ planning...
-I plan on substituting in the district that my sister works in- gain more experience in the classroom with different ages. *bonus: I get to spend loads of time with my sister that I have not been able to do the past 4 1/2 years and I make some money in the process as well!
-I plan on filling out applications and auditioning for graduate school possibilities and trying to figure out where I am going to be next
-This next time of my life will be stretching and make me learn more about myself... I plan on going to church and making connections to new people in the area... I am going to be open to new things *blogging and sushi (somewhat nervous about the 2nd)

Other possibilities on the horizon... in process of planning:
-A trip to Florida is going to happen at some point in the future- the possibilities are SeaWorld or Disneyland or both depending on the way that things turn out
-Unknown sight-seeing in the Charleston area or within the approximate area
-Trips to audition for graduate school- currently it looks like I will just need to make one trip... since I think I have brought my graduate schools down to two options (one of which does not require an on-campus audition?... still investigating)

What I have done:
-Slept in
-Watched a movie I have wanted to see for 9 years! *It was pretty good too!
-Spent time with Duke and Dutch, Melody's dogs
-Had a blast having the longest slumber party ever with Melody... which will continue for the next few months
-Got to meet some of my sister's colleagues and her students
-Attempted to play Mario Kart on the Wii... need a LOT more practice- although I do pretty well at comic relief currently
-Made Cheddar Broccoli Soup from scratch... I have done that before- but did it for the first time in South Carolina
-Had a TB test required for substituting... currently I think I am TB free!
-Applied for my initial teaching certificate and am continuing to get work done needed to eventually be a teacher

That is a quick update to summarize some of the reasoning behind why I am here and what I am doing... next time will probably be more detailed and less frazzled... then again, probably not since I tend to be scatterbrained...

Long story short- I am here, getting settled in, and optimistic about and excited for what the future will bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment