Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Tough decision... other decisions made... continued experiences

I had to make a tough decision about a job opportunity that came along that would be good to have in the fall... but had a lot of buts. I had the opportunity to start teaching private piano lessons, which eventually I definitely want to do, but I have to remember as my Mom said no matter where I am someday I can do that :)! The issue would have been that it would be on Saturdays... starting in June... which anyone that knows my summer work schedule working at camp and how exhausted I was last summer sees the red flag go up immediately... it took me a few days to see past my optimism to make it work to see the reality that it wouldn't be fair to the students, camp, or myself to do both- Another point of consideration... this job would be connected through the family that I am hopefully being a nanny for in the fall so I have to believe that God knows where he has me in the fall and I can just relax...

Speaking of the Fall... I haven't officially received my acceptance letter but the head of the department sent me the health paperwork and basically told me acceptance is waiting on my last recommendation :) Once I officially decide to officially go there I will give more details :)*

Also at one point I thought about how with graduate school I hope to substitute... which would mean I would need a vehicle to get there from whichever school I'm at... my parents offered a vehicle, but I thought that it might be time to get my own- but then realized... I can get one later and then not have to worry about the income to afford it throughout graduate school and then if I get the work I can save it towards a car :)

This week I'm getting a lot of substitute experience... that is I work with grades K-8... doing Math, Science, General Music, Band, and Dance... at different schools in the district... different rules... different behavior standards... I find the schools I'm unfamiliar with that Elementary General Music is not as wonderful as my placement for student teaching was... but then again I was quite spoiled there ;)

With all the decisions being made I had to hear the truth from my parents which was a little tough. The whole piano lesson option was one that I was very stubborn on and it's hard for me to step back and take a look at everything. Thus far it's only been my family and less than a handful of friends that have been able to give me the honest truth and not back down... because they're right. Which is hard when I get into my stubborn ruts and only see one thing. I'm coming to appreciate those people that are able to do that and coming to the realize that I've grown up. I have grown to understand the quality of that firm truth and the strength they have to stand by it until I come around. I find that personally I want to be the one right all the time but am finding that the only way to get closer to being right is learning to admit when I'm wrong and moving on.

On completely different topics... saw The Book of Eli- it was amazing... planning on seeing Alice in Wonderland soon- that looks incredible- music sounds great... Spring break is finally in sight... which means I have to start planning it soon... that and seeing other friends around the area because before I know it I will be back in NY... I think the count is in the 80s now- I'm not counting... my sister is :p

In the midst of the routine I am finding the route to take for my future, learning things that are causing me to mature in my faith and as a person, continuing to find enjoyment in the small things, and discovering the random personality that I have is allowing me to take and cherish every second as it comes! In the midst of everything I am finding God leading me to where to go and equipping me now to be ready when I reach there :)


*about all of the nonspecific information

At this point I feel that I need to work through it over conversations rather than broadcast my life completely online... where people just read it- it's another story, but there's the lack of connection to that person *which I actually feel is a disconnect that text conversations have... speaking of which... it's March which means I've officially survived 2 months without text conversations such as aim (actually deleted it from my computer), facebook, and text message conversations- my current rule only allowed to send 5- At some point I may elaborate on this, but for now this is a brief statement to explain my opinion of the negative influence I am seeing through instant written word communication... that and I'm proud of myself sticking to it and am thinking at this point that I probably will continue to do so after the year is over- it will be interesting to see how it turns out this time next year

No comments:

Post a Comment